Like in the previous years the Yamaraja did not show courtesy. The lord of death has taken his share and none less than MP Shanker, Vyasaraya Ballal, KV Jayaram and a few others left us keeping in sorrow.
We give some of those who left for heaven but stay in our minds.
• SHOBAN NO MORE - The unfinished Kannada film ‘Mayura’ (Puneeth Rajakumar, Shradda Arya and Sandhya starring R.S.banner production) director Shoban of super hit Telugu films ‘Varsham’ (Prabhas and Trisha), Bobby and Chanti aged 42 died after heart attack in Hyderabad on Monday (7th January 2008) evening.
• Smt.Varadappa died – Shivarajakumar did the final rites at Gajanur.
• DIRECTOR Y.NANJUNDAPPA NO MORE - Two state award winning Kannada films ‘Gejje Nada’ and ‘Nagarika’ director Y.Nanjundappa died of kidney failure on Saturday morning (19th January 2008) in a village in Harihara taluk. The last film he directed was ‘Ardhangi starring Anu Prabhakar. He has also written story, screenplay and dialogue for Jeevana Raga, Antharya, Kalla Bandha Kalla Kannada films. He was the winner of KANFIDA award for three times. 62 years Y.Nanjundappa was a bachelor in life.
• Vyasaraya Ballal (85) the simple living and creative writer works have been made use in Kannada film and television circles. The films ‘Vatsalya Patha’ (By Raga Rang films in 1980 – directed by A.S.R.Rao – Suresh Heblikar, L.V.Sharadha, Meenakshi Devadas in lead roles) ‘Anurakthe’ (By Maruthi International in 1980 directed by Maruthi Shivaram – starring Arathi, Gautham, Shivaram, Seetharam, Musuri Krishnamurthy and others). The former chief minister of Karnataka H.D.Kumaraswamy obtained the rights of the popular novel of Vyasaraya Ballal’s ‘Hejje’ (based on the pre independence subject) a few years ago and this has not yet went on the floor.
• R.N.JAYAGOPAL - He breathed his last at 10.30 am on Monday in Chennai. He was indisposed for quite sometime. He was seventy two years of age. The eldest of one of the ‘Annas’ of Kannada cinema R.Nagendra Rao started his career as a lyricist. RN Sudarshan and RNK Prasad are his brothers.
• Veteran actor Go.Ra.Bhima Rao – father of director B.Ramamurthy, producer cum distributor Satyanarayana and director Manjunath died after prolonged illness.
• 17th July 2008 - The maker of ‘Gandhada Gudi’ M.P.Shanker era has come to an end in Sandalwood when it is preparing for the ‘Amruthamahotsava’ (Diamond jubilee celebration) is tragic blow to the Kannada filmdom. M.P.Shanker the agile personality of Kannada cinema died on Thursday after a prolonged bone cancer illness. He was 70 and died in his residence in Mysore. He leaves behind his wife and daughter. He has acted in nearly 70 films and produced 16 films and directed ‘Kallara Kalla’ Kannada film.
• R.Jagadish, producer of Sarvabowma, Vikram, joint producer of Soorappa and Kotigobba died on account of severe jaundice. He was 43. severe losses of Sarvabowma Kannada film had in fact put down him completely.
• NOVEL DIRECTOR K.V.JAYARAM NO MORE The winner of S.R.Puttanna Kanagal award 2000-2001 - novel based films director K.V.Jayaram (58) died of kidney failure on Saturday (16th August) morning in Bangalore. He was ailing for a long time and last seen in the Sri Raghavendra Chitravani awards evening at the Bell Hotel on July 1st. A prominent director he has produced 10 films an efficient editor and served Kannada cinema industry for 33 years.
• Renukamma Murugod – The grand old woman of Kannada big screen and small screen who made a strong presence from ‘Krourya’ Kannada cinema left us after a long illness.
• AJ Naidu – a producer of Kannada cinema known for humbleness who made ‘Vidyarthi’ and another unfinished film finished his journey.
• DIRECTOR RAJ KISHORE NO MORE One of the hard working directors of Kannada filmdom who saw a little success as director from ‘Aaseya Bhale’ to ‘Sirichandana’ Raj Kishore died of heart attack on Wednesday morning at Shirdi religious center. His body will be brought by his family members to Kalyananagar residence on Nagarabhavi Road on Thursday morning. The cremation would take place in the afternoon. He has directed more than 25 films in Kannada and worked for nearly 30 years in the industry. Raj Kishore started his career in Chennai working in the camp S.V.Rajendra Singh Babu.
• 18th cross Chikkanna – Producer of ‘18th Cross’ Kannada film died of heart attack.
• Devadut – one of the producers of ‘Team’ Kannada film died in Mysore in a road accident.
• C.V.SRIDHAR DIRECTED LONE KANNADA FILM The veteran director of Tamil cinema C.V.Sridhar (80) who died on Monday in Chennai the trend setter in Tamil films had directed only one Kannada film ‘Urvashi Neene Nanna Preyayi’ in 1979 for Bharani Chitra of MP Shanker starring Srinath, Latha, Subashini and Dwarakish.