At the Karnataka Chalanachitra Academy on Saturday evening the guest of honor was veteran actress in supporting roles MN Lakshmi Devi.
At the ‘Belli Hejje’ the veteran called upon her fraternity to love the work and respect it too. It is only with devotion and discipline it is possible to achieve in life she informed.
Here are some of the highlights of MN Lakshmi Devi at ‘Belli Hejje’:
Art is not easily available to all. The given role should be accepted with love and affection. It should be filled with life. Then only one can stand long in this field.
- I was interested in acting right from the young age. My mother opposed. Her ambition was that I should become a singer. From Bindu BA I became a singer.
- Before taking up singing I was practicing dance.
- It was in one of the dance programs in Dharmasthala I was spotted by the former Dharmadhikari.
- In 1952 from Srinivasa Kalyana I got opportunity to act.
- The roles I have acted with Narasimharaju and Balakrishna is still in the minds of the people.
- Even after six decades stint in theatre, cinema and small screen I have not given up my love for this art. ‘Kala Preethi’ is there in inner heart.
- Many of the roles I have performed are anger filled roles. Some how the comedy roles also in the later part came to my kitty.
- I have acted in 600 films in my 70 years of age.
- The industry in the past was very strong and elders have been successful in building the industry.
- The younger generation should carry on the good work done by others in the past.
- I am not 80 plus of age at one point of time Lakshmi Devi stated. Uttering false age I am not getting ready for marriage.
- I might have done ‘Gayyali’ roles but very soft in heart. I knew people like ‘Gayyali’ roles.
- In those days we were traveling like sheep in one ambassador car. After make up we used to converse with director and respect him. Now each one has a car to come. We have to sail with the changing atmosphere.
- I am a challenging star. I have that power in me. In the first film I played a Dalit girl and later in all Shanker Singh films I was in the cast.
The one and half an hour chat with MN Lakshmi Devi was conducted by Smt KH Savithri senior journalist and member of Karnataka Chalanachitra Academy. KCA chairman TS Nagabharana, Protima Devi veteran actress was also present on this occasion.
MN Lakshmi Devi for the program 4.30 pm came at 5.45 pm for ‘Belli Hejje’.